Report on an archival investigation on portions 4, 5, 8, 20 and the remainder of portions 44, 47 and 50 of the farm Grootsuikerboschkop 124 JT and portions 4, 6 11 and the remainder of 12 of the farm Elandslaagte 131 JT, Mpumalanga Province
Archaetnos cc was requested by Kudzala Antiquity to conduct an archival investigation of certain portions of the farms Grootsuikerboschkop 124 JT and Elandslaagte 131 JT in the Belfast district in the Mpumalanga Province. This reports deals with the findings after a survey has been conducted in the Deeds Office in Pretoria, as well as the National Archives Repository in Pretoria.
From the old farm register it was learned that both farms were established during the second half of the 19th century. The applicable portion of both became the property of the General Timber Company Ltd during 1970.
From archival document it was learned that a town was already established on the farm Grootsuikerboschkop during the 1890?s. This town later on became known as Dullstroom.
Archival maps did not provide much information apart from indicating the location of the town on the farm Grootsuikerboschkop.
Dr. A.C. van Vollenhoven (L.Akad. S.A.)